background

Monday, May 6, 2013

Birch Bay Getaway

The last couple months have been pretty awful for John and I in our personal and family life. We've had sources of stress, worries, fears and sadness from what feels like all sides and it becomes overwhelming at times.

Three weeks ago we decided to book a little getaway to escape for a few days. With my birthday coming up it was the perfect excuse to go on a mini vacay to clear our heads.

So, this past weekend we celebrated my 24th birthday by going up to Birch Bay, WA. Birch Bay is this adorable little cozy nook up near the Canadian border. Neither of us had been up there before so we were pretty excited to do something new.


It was a beautiful sunny day and I couldn't have been happier to have this guy all to myself!


Along the way we pondered all the weird names of places and things Washington has. It must be really odd for somebody who isn't from around here to see signs for places like Stillaguamish River, Nooksack and my new favorite, Chuckanut!


When we got to Birch Bay Getaway we were super excited to find out that the owner gave us a free upgrade to a cottage that cost $30 more per night to stay in than the one we booked! Wahoo! It was super cute and homey on the outside.


There was a neat little walkway next to our cottage that led to the one behind ours.


 I loved the adorable little details outside the cabin, like the stained glass window decorations.


And the cute little letter holder on the front door.
(along with the upside down no smoking sign)


And when we walked in it was all hardwood floors with a cute painted green border!


But, there was a kind of scary horse theme going on though...


This is what we had to look at while in bed. It was ENORMOUS!


And this beyond frightening mosaic was over the dining table.
I don't know what it is, but those eyes just aren't right...


After getting all settled into the cottage and observing the horses that were seemingly everywhere we decided to check out the little restaurant, The Eagle's Roost, that was on site.
The view was so beautiful! 


The fish and chips were to die for
I mean, you can't go to the beach and not eat seafood, right?
And I loved the homemade coleslaw.


After dinner we watched the sunset... so romantic =)


Saturday morning I was up bright and early and started my run before it was even 7:30am.
There's nothing like running at the beach. So peaceful.
(love anytime I get pics with my gorgeous ring!)


We went to Blaine, WA right up by the border, which was also beautiful!
I've always wanted to go to Blaine.
Blaine was my grandpa's middle name so I have a special attachment to it.




 We drove by border patrol which I was completely fascinated by for some reason.
Maybe because I've never been out of the country?

I know, weird, right?
Most people from Washington have at least been to Canada!



 Most of all, I loved all the time we spent at the beach.
It was so relaxing and wonderful to just spend time alone with John.





The weekend was perfectly relaxing, peaceful and rejuvenating.  
Just what we needed.
Spending this weekend away with John reminded me
just how incredibly blessed I am to have him in my life.
He makes me happier than I ever thought I could be and I love him with all my butt!
(I would say heart, but my butt is bigger! haha)


No comments:

Post a Comment