background

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Homemade Laundry Detergent


The first time I made this was about a year and a half ago and I just ran out this week. I cannot believe that one batch lasts that long!

It only costs about $30 to make, so for me, that breaks down to approximately $1.67 a month for laundry detergent. Amazing!

We only do laundry for two, which equals to about 5-6 loads of laundry per week between our towels, darks, colors, whites, bedding and John's work clothes. I use 1/8 of a cup per load so it makes sense that it lasted us this long!

The recipe is so simple and all of the ingredients are easy to find at any grocery store.


You Will Need:
A large bucket
A huge mixing spoon
A fine cheese grater
Container to keep detergent in
1 Box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 Box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1 Box Borax
1 Tub Oxyclean
1 Bottle Purex Crystals Fabric Softener
(I use Fresh Clean Waters Scent)
2 Bars Fels Naptha Laundry Soap

Step One: Grate the two bars of soap into a bowl. This method takes the longest and gives you hand cramps, but it gives you the finest result. You can also cut the soap into one inch cubes and put in the food processor until pulverized. (that's what I did last time) Or, you can try this method in the microwave and crumble it.

mmm... looks like cheese! But don't be tempted. Soap would not be good on your nachos!

Step Two: Take each ingredient and pour half into the bucket layering as you go. Do the same with the other half. I find this makes it easier to get it to mix evenly than just pouring all each ingredient in at the same time. Mix thoroughly.


Step Three: Pour into a container and start saving money!


I love, love, love this recipe because it's septic safe, HE compatible, it's gentle enough for sensitive skin like mine and it still gets the clothes clean and smelling fresh! Oh, and it saves me money!

Oh! And I like to save the empty Purex bottle for other homemade cleaning recipes, like this fabric softener I make.  You can save the tub from the Oxyclean too!







No comments:

Post a Comment